Friday, June 20, 2008

House Keeping in a Cluttered Mind - closet #4

Today I’m just going to let the meandering stream of things I’ve been thinking about flow through to this keyboard. They are mostly thoughts about what a genuine follower of Jesus is like or how upside down this world is compared to what God calls us to live like.

My oldest child will be entering high school in the fall. I think she is a very bright, insightful and mature young lady. In this world we seem to see maturity as becoming more independent and being able to do things or make choices on our own. But spiritual maturity seems to be completely opposite of that. The more mature I become in my walk with Christ, the more dependent I become on Him in all aspects of my life.

The system of this world tells us to look at ourselves and compare that to others. That is how we can tell how poorly or how well we are doing in any area, whether it is material wealth, health, or our spiritual condition. Material wealth is so temporary and unreliable. We are all going to die in the end so we all share the same health condition. The reality is we have only one Right Standard to which we should be compared. And we all, ALL fall well short of that mark.

And when we look at others, as this world seems to think we should, we are completely within our “rights” to point out the sins and be critical of others if our situation in that area relative to theirs is “better.” And we also think if we aren’t doing as well as them we are deserving of their grace rather than their condemnation. But the way we ought to live is by being most critical of our own sins and recognizing we are most deserving of God’s judgement. And when we look at other we should extend grace and love because that is what Christ has done for us.

“Look out for number one!” So often we pick the wrong “number one” to look out for. In this world, number one is usually ourself. The widow, the orphan, the poverty stricken, those in the mist of sorrow, the lonely, the broken, the sick, the unbeautiful, those who can offer us nothing of material value; these are the apple of His eye, the jewels of creation, the ones created in His image just like us. When we are looking out for them, the least of these, we are looking out for Him, the one and only Number One.

The bar is set so very high. It is an impossible standard to attain. That is if I am trying to do it myself. But I have help. His Spirit leads and guides me. His Word teaches me how to let Him live in and through me. And His grace takes my hand and lifts me up when I stumble on the path.

No comments: