Thursday, June 19, 2008

House Keeping in a Cluttered Mind - closet #3

Somebody whom I greatly respect was talking about a book by William P. Young titled “The Shack.” It is a fictional work. This book has received some great reviews. But I’ve read some who think this book represents a subtle deception promoting counterfeit Christianity and a skewed view of God. Some of the critics have been downright nasty. Since I’m only about half way through the book I’m not ready to make my own final assessment. I will say again though, this book is fiction so chill out a little.

However, this “controversy” got me thinking about when and how we should be critical of others or the things they do. Now I’m not one of those folks who thinks we shouldn’t judge. Clearly we are to judge as long as we are using the right standard. We do need to hold our brothers and sisters accountable when they are in error or have strayed from walking uprightly or when they mislead others. But when a person such as the author of “The Shack” shakes things up a bit by going against convention, is that such a bad thing? I don’t want to give anything away if you haven’t read the book. But if you have, you’ll probably know what a few of these radical things are.

Isn’t the problem here that so many people are so illiterate when it comes to the Bible that they are easily led away? And if we were all in The Word and had The Word in us we would quickly be able to discern a lie from the Truth. Is it so threatening to read something that really makes us think? Thinking isn’t a sin. We do, in so many ways, put God in a box. That box is often shaped more like what and whom we wish God were or what we’ve been told. We are too proud to admit that God is beyond our comprehension or too arrogant, assuming we know enough so there are only a few blanks to fill in to complete the picture.

The theology in this book may not be entirely on track. But does that mean I can’t learn something from it? Several years ago I went to an awful movie, “White Men Can’t Jump.” It was crude and foul and not very good. But I learned a spiritual lesson in spite of all that. One of the basketball players was always trying to look so good and smooth. He had the bling and right clothes. The other one looked like a slob, a bum. The slob made a statement to the other that went something like; “You would rather look good than play good. I’d rather look bad and play good.” Isn’t that the problem with so many Christians? They want to look good on the outside. But inside they’ve got no game. I’d rather make sure I’m “playing good” and really right inside than worry about the external things others are going to judge. Now I know those who are critics of “The Shack” would be even more critical of “White Men Can’t Jump.” But despite how “good” or “bad” this book is somebody who is mature and has a discerning heart will be able to uncover quite a few nuggets to ponder and explore in Scripture.

Well, I’ve got to go. After reading through this I completely went in a different direction than I expected. There’s always another posting…

No comments: