Thursday, December 11, 2008

Just Random Stuff

I've spent waaaaaaaaay too much time this week thinking about serious things. So I'm going to take a brief mental vacation with no set itinerary and no garmin to tell me where to turn. Let's hit the highway, shall we.

I have somewhere between 200 and 400 albums sitting in my basement. (Those are those big black "CDs" for those of you born after the Carter administration.) One of my pre-Christmas purchases is a USB turntable. Though I don't want it to consume all of my spare time, (You know, the hours between 11:00pm and 6:00am.), I am really looking forward to converting much of that to a usable form. Back in the day I was quite... um... compulsive about my records. I had a directory of every album; what song, which track number, when produced. I had the same kind of directory for my alphabetized comic book collection. Hmmmmm. Maybe I really was a nerd or geek or whatever the term as way back then.

I used to be a very picky eater. No, really. I mean even more picky than I am today if you can imagine that. I don't think I would have ever tried broccoli if it weren't for wanting to be polite and impress Lesly's mom when they had me over. I never ate mac & cheese until my sophomore year of college. I had my very first orange the winter of my senior year of college. Oh but I did love (and still do) my M&M's. I figure I averaged over half a pound a day my freshman year. Then I put all the M&M's "Pounder" bags on my dorm room wall like wallpaper, alternating between plain and peanut in a beautiful yellow and brown checkerboard pattern. And I didn't even gain any weight! (You can see the skinny me on my facebook wall)

Why is it that when there's ice on the side of the road people drive thirty miles under the speedlimit. But when the ice is covering the road the seem to go 30 MPH above it?

I always get confused. Does a westerly breeze mean the wind is blowing out of the west and to the east or out of the east and to the west? And when it's already raining outside, why does the weatherman come on and say something like, "There's an 80% chance of rain today." If it's raining right then wouldn't it be a 100% chance of rain?

How unfair is it when the city tells us we should use less water and then complains that their revenue is down because people aren't using as much water so they need to raise the rates? Why is crabgrass called crabGRASS and not crabWEED? I'd feel so much more inclined to try and rid my lawn of it if it were a weed and not just another form of grass.

And finally, since my cat poops in the litterbox should I throw my litter away in a poop can?

No comments: