Monday, December 15, 2008

Is it a sign?

I've just come off a really good week. Sure I still had all the normal everyday stuff going on like stressful deadlines at work and the evening family shuttle bus routes. But on the inside it's really been great. I started blogging my daily Bible reading journal and didn't miss a day. I also listened to K-LOVE all day at work in place of the normal news/talk station.

Anyway, early last week I was really praying about(hey, now don't snicker about this) my minivan. It's about 8 years old with 112,000 miles on it and is at that age where it seems every few months something else really needs to be fixed. We've thought about buying something else. But it really isn't in the budget. And a major repair bill wouldn't be fun to deal with either.

For about a month (okay, maybe longer) it's had this irritating light come on and stay on that says "service traction system" whenever a sharp turn is made. This also prompts the "ABS" light to come on. I'm sure (well, fairly sure. I'm no mechanic and I didn't learn a thing about cars in any of my New Testament Greek or world missions classes in college.) it really doesn't affect the driving or braking ability of the vehicle. And I've been driving on ice and snow without the aid of a traction control system in other vehicles for years.

Well, the "reminder" (That sounds so much nicer than "warning.) lights haven't come on again. I know it may seem silly. And I know God does really care about everything in our lives, even the little things. But do you think maybe Jesus healed my van? Sure, I know He can and we hear stories all the time about miracles like this that God does for missionaries when something breaks and stuff. I'm very torn between feeling like I'm somehow being disrespectful of God, thinking He would bother with such a trivial thing as healing my van, and being very convicted because I lack the level of faith to believe that He would do such a thing.

No comments: