Thursday, July 17, 2008

Vacationer Returns

I know, I know. I haven’t been doing so well at posting anything lately. Mostly it’s due to taking a little vacation to Corpus Christi. Not just the being away, but also all the catching up at work after the trip. But I’ve back now and will hopefully get back into the blogging swing of things.

The trip went quite well. We, the “nuclear six” plus the mother-in-law (N6+MIL), left around 1:00 in the morning on a Tuesday. I finally stopped in Waco at an IHOP for breakfast. Mine was pretty good. The youngest two ordered chocolate chip pancakes from the kid’s menu that were huge and made with this chocolaty batter. They were even too sweet for me. That of course prompted us to stop the van a couple of times shortly after we left for … um… some spew stops. Let me just say, the interstates in Texas need to add more restrooms to their rest stops on the interstate. I think we only encountered two highway rest stops with facilities between Oklahoma and Corpus Christi.

Our tour bus stopped in San Antonio for a couple of hours and we visited the Alamo and roamed along the river walk. The stop was cut short by rain and we decided to grab a quick bite at, what else, Wendy’s before continuing to our destination. Our original plan was to motel it in Galveston and stop in Houston to visit a relative along the way. But another relative offered to house N6+MIL in Corpus Christi so of course we couldn’t turn them down. Besides, it was a lower rate than even Priceline could get us!

Tuesday evening we just ordered pizza and let the kids splash around in the pool. After my all-nighter I just went to bed after eating. Both Wednesday and Thursday we went to the beach at Padre Island National Seashore. The weather was great and the beach was almost deserted. Although I had forgotten how easily that fine sand gets everywhere. The kids had a blast jumping waves, playing in the sand and collecting shells. We also did a little souvenir shopping in Thursday. On Friday we went to the Texas State Aquarium. And of course every evening back at the house the kids had to swim until after dark.

We pulled out just before 11:00 on Friday night and arrived at our house around noon on Saturday. I pretty much slept all day Saturday. It was surprising that we never paid more than $3.95 for gas. And even if gas would have been $4.25 it would have only cost us about $20 more. Sure I don’t like the high gas prices. But on a vacation you’re easily going to blow at least $30 on something stupid anyway. Just think about it, be a little more careful about what you spend and you’ll realize higher gas prices shouldn’t really make you opt not to take you summer road trip. As a bonus we also got between 25 and 27 MPG the whole trip. Not too bad when you’re carting seven or eight people around. You SUVer may mock my minivan. But I’m laughing at you while you’re filling up your tank at the pump across from me.

Well, that’s the trip summary. I’d like to take just a “nuclear six” long weekend before school starts but I’m not sure that will happen. I’ve still got something like 11 vacation days to burn before the year ends. We’ve got a cousin’s wedding in KC coming up one of these weekends in August but that after the spouse has already gone back to work for all the pre-school-starting teacher junk they do every year. Anybody know of a neat little place to get away with the family for a couple of days that’s, say, within 300 miles of Wichita?

No comments: