Monday, July 7, 2008

Road Trip Memories

Rumor has it that because of the high gas prices some people are not taking their summer vacations. I just think that’s an excuse. Of course because airfare for six is so expensive our family doesn’t fly, we road trip. So even at $4.00 a gallon we drive our family of six in the minivan from home to either coast and back for less than one or two airline tickets. And the way flying is these days with delays, security hassles and lost luggage, driving is a lot more relaxing, too, even when we leave at midnight.

Of course the whole “family road trip” thing is in my blood. As a kid I always looked forward to climbing aboard the family Oldsmobile and heading across the county for the summer adventure. We didn’t even let the gas crisis of the 70’s keep us off the roads. Thanks to my parents I’d been in all the lower 48 states and countless National Parks by the time I went to college. And it wasn’t because we were wealthy that we could afford our travels. My mom is a great budgeter and my dad is “Mr. Friendly” so we pitched a tent, stayed with long lost friends and relatives, or slept in the car. Once in a while if we had under spent we’d splurge on a roadside motel.

I’m trying to give my kids that same love for the road and our beautiful country that I inherited. Sure there are those moments of friction when you’ve been tapped in a vehicle for hours on end with your family. But they tend to be so few and are overshadowed by the fun and adventures we share along the way.

We’re building family closeness and memories. I’m sure my kids will look back on these trips with the same appreciation I have when I remember my childhood trips. Who could forget the time we stopped because my dad had to go to the bathroom so badly that he accidentally went into the women’s restroom. Or the time the “biker gang” unlocked the car when we locked the keys inside. What about the yucky motel in Utah we were in when Elvis died. Gosh, I’m already smiling as I wonder what stories my kids will have to tell to their children.

If you don’t already “road trip” with your family you really should give it a try. And don’t think you’ve got to see everything just because you are “so close.” You’ve got to leave a few things for you kids to explore with their kids one day. We did our big road trip over spring break so this summer we’re just going on a short 1,500 round trip to visit relatives for a few days at the beach. I’ll catch up with you after I get back. The minivan leaves at midnight!

No comments: