Wednesday, January 28, 2009

What would DayVee do?

How can you tell that I'm having a bad day at work? How about when it's after 4:00 in the afternoon and I'm still downing coffee. And it's not even very good coffee. Why do I let myself get so stressed about my job at this time of the year? I'd go seek some professional help about it. But in the end I know they'd tell me it was just my parent's fault. You know, that being raised with a good work ethic kind of stuff and trying to live up to their expectations.

Not that I mind hard work or doing my best. And I do like what I do. But it is just a job. Like I told them when I interviewed here the decade an a half or so ago, a job isn't who I am. It's just a necessary evil because things cost money. I have a job to earn money with which I provide for my family. Hmmmm. If money was not an issue, meaning I had no debt and didn't have to worry about having to pay for a place to live or food, clothing or transportation, my basic needs, what would I want to do?

That's a question I've been pondering for a few weeks. Perhaps with a little twist or two. Like not what would I want to do but what would/does God want me to do? Couple that with Philippians 4:19 - "And my God will meet all your needs according to his glorious riches in Christ Jesus."

Realistically, I have no unmet material needs. In fact, like most Americans, I have far more than I need. And in my heart I know God is faithful. But if God clearly said to me quit your job and do "X" could I? Would I have enough trust in Him to "drop my nets" and follow Him? Would you? Do you?

2 comments:

Whitney said...

I continue to love your blog...I even gave you a shout-out in my blog awhile ago, so if your readership spikes...you're welcome!

Keep up the great work. Your musings continue to spark thought in me.

DayVee said...

Thanks Whitney! Nice to know you're out there reading me. Hebrews 10:24 says, "And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds." If my little corner of the net moves you in that direction, praise God!