Tuesday, March 29, 2011

You've Got Mail

This morning I logged into my email and started the normal process of looking through my in box. By just looking at the sender or subject line I could easily discern things I didn't even need to open and could just delete. The things that were left required a bit more effort to sort through. But with opening them and checking them out in a bit more detail I was able to delete many of those within seconds, seeing they too were of no value. Then I was left with the real stuff, the useful things, the items I needed to know about or correspondence to which I wanted and needed to pay attention. I sort those and save the things I really need for future reference. Then I get this wonderful notice congratulating me for having a clean mailbox. Wouldn't it be nice if our lives and hearts worked as easy as that.

Sure, there are some filters that much of the junk just won't get through. There's the stuff that enters our mind and is rejected right away. But there are those other items that are a bit more disguised and subtle so we take a closer look. Sure some we "delete" quickly as well. But others we stil haven't chosen to discard. You know, those are the gray areas, the small compromises. Dwelling a little long on a thought here. Becoming blind to even seeing evil influences there. Like a seemingly harmless email we open only to find out later that lurking behind it is a virus that can put so much in jeopardy. Then there are the things we really need, the important stuff and things to be stored away and treasured in our heart.

It's a whole lot easier to keep an in box clean than it is a heart. Discerning the good stuff from the junk is a much simpler process in an email account than in one's life. But some day hearing "Well done good and faithful servant." sure is much more important than some stupid electronic clean in box compliment.

No comments: